Monday, September 28, 2020

Calling An Audible, Upcoming Events

 

Calling an audible - To change plans at the last minute based on newly revealed information. (An expression I have mostly heard in wrestling).

When I have re-started the blog, the plan was a post on Monday, about whatever, and a post on Thursday or Friday, on my music picks (I think I'm migrating that to Thursday). The purpose of this was largely a mental health things as my brain will be happy I am doing some writing and the music episodes are fun puzzle to solve. Anyway, today's post was going to be about why I love wrestling but my music picks kind of took over. I decided that I needed to have a few of those posts in the bag in case something came up so I had this week's one in the can as it were. However, I realised over the weekend that this week sees The Mid-Autumn Festival (or Moon Festival) so I wanted to mark it by having an "episode" on songs that had "moon" in the title. This was a pretty simple task. My policy is to pick songs on the theme that I actually like and getting ten was very easy for this topic. It was actually a lot of fun rediscovering songs and artists (a general comment I have on all the playlists). I have the playlist and post for that ready. My other policy is to listen to the playlist to see if the songs work and if they need to be shuffled around. I have done this but I think I'll do that a couple of more times this week. Problem solved: I simply move the other topic to the following week. Nope.

As part of my planning, I decided to have a running list of future episodes with maybe a few song suggestions to get my brain started on them. One topic I had in mind was science fiction and fantasy to commemorate Octocon. Over the weekend (again!!), I looked up the dates of the convention (it's 9th, 10th and 11th) and realised I needed to move back the one I had already planned again and create another new episode. The sci-fi / fantasy one was actually a little more tricky. As I have said, I want to pick songs I enjoy and not just pick ones that fit the theme. I picked a few that did but they kinda made fun of the topic so I dropped them (I may include one in an episode I am planning of songs that make the cut for the episodes I posted). Yeah. Episode Four ended up being tough but I think I have ended up with a fun and appropriately nostalgic episode. Of course, I need to listen to the playlist a few times before posting. I'm hoping the Octocon attendees get a kick out of it. In summery, working on the picks (and a thing for ICN) ate up my writing time and enthusiasm. 

Speaking of Octocon, I will be involved but I am not allowed to talk about it yet. They are all busy making sure that everybody and everything is in place before making announcements. I am pretty bummed that we won't be getting a physical convention. I know it can't be helped but I always enjoy meeting up with my convention buddies and talking about whatever comes to mind. I think I may write something about my involvement afterwards. I need to do a bit of research beforehand... I'll see you guys on Thursday for some moon music!

No comments:

Post a Comment