Monday, September 21, 2020

Journey Planet 51 And Reflections On Writing


Journey Planet 51
was released in August and features my latest contribution to the magazine. However, I only noticed it was out in the last few days (Facebook never seems to show you the posts you need to see). Anyway, I thought I'd write about it and my writing, or lack thereof, in general. Working with Journey Planet came about through my friendship with James Bacon and the fact that he seems to enjoy my writing on Irish Comic News (I certainly enjoy his). With that in mind, the first subject was a great fit for me: an issue about Judge Dredd. James asked for a review of Michael Carroll's Judge Dredd story The Third Person. (Check out Journey Planet 39 to read that one. I'm pretty happy with it). Cut to a while later and James sent me on the topics for some upcoming issues. I reply with a few ideas, they were given the green light and I went about writing the first one. This ended up being If My Calculations Are Correct, The Fairy Tree Did It for their Magical Places issue (the aforementioned issue 51). It didn't take me more than a day or two and a few drafts to get it done. In completing that and working on some others, it made me realise some things about me as a writer: 1) I need a deadline and 2) I need limitations set down, be it subject or length or whatever. (Note: this causes a lot of downtime for Irish Comic News where I talk about what I want and have few deadlines)

Jump back to a few years to when the Comics Lab were doing regular meetings in the Liquor Rooms. For those unfamiliar with these meetings, they involved talks from creators, some creative games involving everyone in the audience (most if not all of the audience were creative types) and a chance to chat with new people. On one of these evenings, they announced that there would be a Comics Lab Anthology called Specimen. Each story would have some connection to that title and would be three pages long. With those limitations, my brain kicked into gear and I instantly came up with an idea. Over the years at conventions, and even more so at the Comics Lab, I had gotten to know writer / artist Brian Burke so I decided to ask him to draw my story. I dropped him a mail and, since he hadn't come up with an idea yet, we started working on my idea. Working with an artist meant, in my mind, creating harsh deadlines for myself. We went back and forth and pretty soon got it all worked out. It was so strange. Even though he had far more experience, he took all my ideas on board, while at the same time adding to them. We ended up not really even having a script. It was all in e-mails. So my first story was done and published... kinda. Our story appeared but my name did not. So if you have a copy of Specimen, mine is the one with Brian's name on it. The point of this story being that if I'm given constraints like the subject, story length or having to get ideas to the artist, my brain works better. This held water a couple of years later when I did a comic course. The result is I now have another story written that may see light if the right anthology shows up and I find the right artist. I'm pretty confident it is good as I got Hugo Boylan to have a look and he helped me polish it up. If you are looking for an editor, hire Hugo!

Back to the now. So, as I have said, Journey Planet 51 was about Magical Places. When I read the subject, I instantly thought of fairy trees. Growing up in Ireland, you would read the odd story about roads being diverted to accommodate them. Silly stuff? I'm not a superstitious guy but, on this particular thing, I would air on the side of caution. Maybe it's genetic or just deeply routed in the national (and my) psyche. Anyway, the story in the piece is true: I heard that DeLorean was brought down by a fairy tree and the story came from a tour bus driver. Upon reflection, I may have heard before but I can't be sure and I think the tour bus aspect is fun. Being a science fiction fan, I had to write about this story. So I did a bit of research on the DeLorean company and tried to find more online about the tree, and there was more. I'm actually a little proud of that story. It's fun and it fits in with the rest of the magazine. They picked some lovely photos for the issue and there's a nice picture of a faery tree for mine. I better go work on some more and maybe e-mail an artist on a story idea I have.

http://journeyplanet.weebly.com/journey-planet/journey-planet-51-magical-places

No comments:

Post a Comment